Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Bye, bye dummy

Unfortunately no photos for this one, I have been meaning to blog about this for ages now, but just kept putting it off, and now the list of things to blog about has gotten rather big, so I just had to bite the bullet and do it.

It was probably close to the end of October when we decided that it was time for Harri to get rid of his dummy.  Now I had no issues with him having one, as he was very good at putting himself to sleep with it, however he was so attached to his dummy that he wouldn't let you give him a new one, even if it was the same brand because he had flattened his so much that the new ones didn't feel right to him.  Because of this I was worried that his dummy would become so thin and deteriorated that it would come apart and he would choke on it in his sleep.

So the day came and I wasn't too sure if I would be able to go through with it on my own, as Jake was at work.  So when his day sleep came I did the same routine, and put him down, and walked out, he ended up crying and I sat in there til he fell asleep, it took about half an hour to get him to sleep, which really is pretty good.  That night he probably took a bit longer with me sitting in there again, and he woke up a couple of time during the night, but I would go in and lay him back down and he would go straight back to sleep.

I noticed that he was waking up earlier in the morning, because normally he would have his dummy to keep him quiet for a while, but I could handle that if it meant the dummy was gone for good.

He probably took another two nights before he was back to self settling which is really good, I thought he would scream for hours before going to sleep and it would take weeks, so I really can't complain.

He has done really well without it since, though this week I have been having to sit in there with him til he falls asleep  (last night took 1 and a half hours!)


No comments:

Post a Comment