As mentioned in my previous post, we headed down to Hobart for the weekend to celebrate Layla's 1st birthday and to see the family. We had a lovely weekend, it was quite jam packed with things to do, but it was still nice.
We headed back home on Sunday evening about 7:30pm, we were hoping to leave before then, but there were a couple of things we needed to do, that we forgot about earlier.
It was a good time to travel, as the roads were not so busy by this stage, although we later learned that some traffic is always good!
We were probably an hour into the trip when we realised we had forgotten to say a prayer, so while we we driving I said a prayer for safety for both us and the other users of the road, and that Jake would be blessed with being alert while driving.
I way pretty tired and kept falling asleep, it was a very light sleep and I would come in and out of my sleep every 5mins or so. I woke up at one stage and out of no where it started to pour with rain for about 2mins, then it stopped.
The next time I woke up we were heading for a bank! I don't really remember what happened, I just remember the car bouncing onto the bank, and it feeling like the car had rolled (luckily it didn't).
After the shock had worn off, Jake jumped out to check that Harri was ok - the little guy slept through the whole thing! Jake made me get out and hold Harri, as he was worried the car might still roll due to after shock.
I walked to the front of the car to inspect the damage and the front left side was all smashed, and the car was almost on it's side.
We were still in shock we didn't know what to do, as by this time it was about 10pm. Luckily a car stopped to help us, he let us borrow his phone, as Jake's was dead, and mine had no credit, and was also about to die. We called RACT roadside, to come and tow the car. The man who stopped took me to his car, so Harri and I could sit where it was warm while we waited.
Not long after a lady stopped to help and suggested that we should ring the Ambulance to check that we were ok.
The Police, Ambulance and tow truck all arrived at about the same time. The paramedic checked Harri first, and he was perfectly fine, then she checked me. I had a sore neck and back, and a few scratches so she suggested that I go to the hospital to be double checked. She then walked up to our car to check Jake, he was also ok, apart from a little sore neck.
Jake later came down to talk to me, and told me that the car was a ride-off, so the man who's car I was sitting in kindly offered to drive Jake and Harri to the hospital, where I was taken in the Ambulance.
Before we left we had the lady who stopped ring Aimee and James to see if they could pick us up from the hospital. (this too was a miracle as Aim later told us that she had her phone by her bed, which she never normally does).
Once Jake and Harri arrived at the hospital, they transfered our stuff from the kind man's car into James', and he took Harri back to Aim to look after, while we waited at the hospital.
After waiting at the hospital for about 3hours, and being given a blessing by James and Jake, we were allowed to go home.
It was about 3:30am by the time we got home to bed, but we were just so thankful that we were all ok, that nothing else seemed to matter. Until the next morning when the realisation of the physical pain we were in and the fact that we now have to buy a car when we have no money was quite overwhelming.
We just can't believe how blessed we were that night, as we were travelling at about 105km/h, so for the car to stop the way it did was a miracle. Also we had all of our bags from the weekend in the back seat piled up next to Harri, so for none of it to fall on him was also a huge miracle.
I asked Jake what happened and he said that as he was going around the corner he felt the back of the car slide out, and as he tried to correct it, we headed straight for the bank. The police officers also mentioned to Jake that they have been attending accidents in the same spot every week for a while now. So it is obviously not a very safe part of the road.
I am so grateful to all those who helped us on Sunday night, especially to Aim and Jimbo who we woke up to come and get us from the hospital and to look after Harri.
But the biggest gratitude goes to my Heavenly Father for watching over us that night, we were truely blessed that it all worked out the way it did.
As I sit here to write this my neck is still sore, as is my knees and arms that are bruised, but that is nothing compared with the feeling of peace that I have knowing just how blessed we truely are.
Thursday, September 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

sorry to hear you are still sore... hope things improve quick.
ReplyDeleteany luck with the car hunting? talk soon x
WOAH!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you guys are all ok.
VERY VERY Blessed. I know the feeling.
Have you got a car sorted yet? I heard dad was going to help you out with that...
We're all so blessed to have the gospel in our lives!
hey Jess,
ReplyDeleteYes we were very blessed. No we haven't got enough money yet, plus there isn't really much around, that we can afford right now, just waiting for our tax return, then we will know how much we have to spend.
xx